Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Diamonds...Diamonds...Diamonds

Now that I have hit the ripe young age of 21, all of my friends seem to be getting married and my Facebook news feed is covered in all sorts of diamond rings.  Not to mention I work with a wedding photographer and get to those rings too!  I almost feel like I'm suffocating in weddings and diamonds sometimes!!  So as my life revolves a lot around weddings these days as I'm helping friends plan theirs and working at others, I usually block out any kind of advertisement involving wedding this or wedding that.

However, the other day I heard a jewelry store's advertisement for engagement rings on the radio and happened to turn this one up.  NO, not because I was interested in their rings, but because I was almost infuriated by what they were saying! I actually found myself yelling at my car radio! (I will not say the name of the company...mainly because I can't remember!)

The commercial went on to say (I'm paraphrasing and this is in no way verbatim), "Do you have a special someone in your life?  Buy her a ring for Blah Blah Jewelers and she will know how much you love her.  So many times we have customers come into our stores to tell us their stories about how wonderful their life is because of the ring he chose.  If you choose one of our fine Blah Blah carat engagement ring, she will be sure to realize how much you really do care for her, after all, she'll know that you spent plenty of money and time picking out such a quality piece.  I know that if you buy her this high value/quality ring from our store, your marriage will end up much better.  Because when you choose the right ring, you're choosing future happiness and a longer marriage for your future!"

Wait what?! Are you kidding me?! Am I the only one who is disturbed by this advertising "garbage??"

Unfortunately, the above was not exaggerated and the man in so many words said that your marriage will be happier and last longer if you pick the right ring for your lady....

Marriage is not about what ring your man could or could not afford or even if he thought for more than 5 minutes on what ring to buy you.  As a girl who is not married or engaged, the only thing I would ever hope for is a man who knows that they DON'T need a ring to earn my love for them and that ANY ring that they give me would be more than enough.  I hate that our society has become so materialistic that even the institution and relationship of a marriage has become so watered down and convoluted that it's hardly about our God who made it anymore!

Marriage is about LOVE.  Without love it is IMPOSSIBLE for two sinners be joined in marriage.  And again, not society's definition of love...God's definition....

"Love is patient and kind; love does NOT envy or boast; it is NOT arrogant or rude.  It does NOT insist on its own way; it is NOT irritable or resentful; it does NOT rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Marriage is a beautiful gift from God.  It is a union based on the love and community of our God.  It is sacred and personal.  It is two people working together to bring glory to our Lord.  It is not about how big your house is, how much your spouse makes, or WHAT RING YOU HAVE!

I'm sorry for the rant, but its heartbreaking to see our world move farther away from God...the creator of ALL things...and more towards worshiping the THINGS that God created.  YOU can be the light.  YOU can be the change.  Thank God for the THINGS he has blessed you with, but don't put those things higher than they really are.  

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21

1 comment:

  1. I missed the memo when you first posted this, so I'm just now reading it. Isn't this world completely ridiculous sometimes?! What a gift of discernment you have to realize when it's garbage you're hearing!

    ReplyDelete