Friday, July 12, 2013

Stuck in the Same Routine

Does it ever seem like your days are literally slipping through your fingers and no matter how much you did or didn't do…absolutely nothing was accomplished and you just feel drained? Then you ask, where's the coffee? where's the energy drink?  is it time for bed yet?
Sometimes I'm just tired of the repetition of every single day.

Wake up
Take a shower
Eat breakfast
Wonder what to do
Weigh the possibilities of what to do
Dread doing the things you have to do (laundry, clean,…pick your poison)
Make dinner
Go to bed

REPEAT

This really more applies to me during the school year when I have loads of  homework that has to be done or another wedding to edit.  Life just seems draining.  And those are the good days!  What about the days when you start out by waking up late, you wake up sick, you burn your finger on something, or in other words anything that could go wrong will go wrong. 

I have felt really convicted lately because I have found myself getting stuck in a routine.  Doing or not doing the same things over and over again.  Why you ask?  It's never really the same reason.  Sometimes I want to watch a movie, other times I want just five more minutes of sleep, sometimes I simply want to avoid the gas station even if that means sitting on my rear end and not doing anything all day. 

The problem with all of this is that how many times do I stop and "smell the roses"?  How many times do I use that wasted time to do things that would better suit my spirit or my time.  How many times do I sit there and complain about a wrong in my life or this world and don't do anything about it. 

I have found most recently that this extra time, this free time can be so better used.  Instead of sitting here twiddling my thumbs…how about reading into God's word.  (And I'm not talking about just taking a glimpse at YouVersion's verse of the day.)  I'm talking about really thinking about what God's words can say to you TODAY or in this moment. 

Let's all be honest, (remember I do this too), how many times do we check Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, only to check it in 5 minutes to see what else may have popped up in someone else's life.  I do it ALL THE TIME.  "I'm bored!  Let's see how much more interesting everyone else's life is!"  When in reality it only makes me feel much worse. 

So here is a challenge…to you AND definitely me.  Use those moments of spare time.  Take a day where you aren't constantly relying on what the internet can tell you about someone else and how awesome their day seems to be.  Open your bible.  Take a look at what God has to tell you today.  He really does make for a GREAT conversation partner! :)
I've found that the more time I spend with God, the more I have days where things don't seem so mundane.  I have more days where I go to sleep satisfied.  We were meant for community and ESPECIALLY a community with him.  Find that relationship, revive that relationship, awaken that relationship.  It really is a great one.

I guess the point of this post, like most of them, is to just share a thought.  My thought today (hopefully it wasn't lost in this huge pile of words) was that more and more I find myself completely tapped out because of the routine of every day life.  But I have discovered that the solution isn't what else can I do, or what coffee or energy drink will get the job done…it's really what can I do differently with my time to make it more worthwhile? 

Answer:  Spend time with the One who gave me this time.  I find that on days where my sole purpose is to seek Him and only Him and bring Him glory…I am happier…I'm free…I'm filled with rest and peace.  Make time for your Father.  There will always be plenty of time, regardless of how busy you are or think you are.  Start tomorrow with His words, praise Him in EVERYTHING you do!  Find out what your christian radio station is and keep it on every chance you get.  I PROMISE it'll make the biggest difference in the world.


"Lost time is never found again."
-Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment